UX Lead, Product Manager, Lead Engineer, Data Analyst
Data visualization, Dashboard, Results
The workload of finding out if a patient is eligible for a specialty medication accounts for ~50% of clinic paper work.
If we could provide the necessary information to healthcare workers and reduce their workload, it would allow them to focus their time on other tasks and get patients on specialty medications faster.
The clinic we spoke to was currently using an EMR (Electronic Medical Record) software called Accuro.
As you can see, this software is not very scannable - there is a lot of information displayed and poor information architecture, therefore it's hard to tell what's important and not.
However, most healthcare workers have been using this software for years, and therefore it was something that they were very familiar with. This was something to keep in mind when designing, to make sure adoption wasn't too hard.
In addition, there was nothing that suggested what specialty medication patients should be prescribed. Healthcare providers had to search for the information they needed and interpret it to determine what to prescribe.
In order to learn more about how specialty medications get prescribed, we spoke with our SME's and were presented with this mockup of the most important data that would need to be presented in order to make a decision.
The current status’ on our patient list were not very accessible as they only used colour as an indicator. This could be an issue for colourblind users, so I suggested that we should show status in a different way for colour independence. We came up with the solution below, so that status’ were not indicated by just colour, but the fill of the circle which would be visible to everyone. (i.e., filled circle = active user, outline = profile/password not confirmed, dotted outline = suspended user). A lot of users wouldn’t know what these symbols mean on their own, which is why we also added a tooltip with what the status was on hover.
As a HCP (Healthcare Professional), I want a portion of the patient profile screen dedicated to Standard Validated Assessments so that I can quickly and easily view historical data, update values, add new assessments, and view trends over time.
Since we only had one quadrant of the screen to work with to show results, we needed a way to be able to switch the view to different assessments.
Issues with this design:
Advantages of using tabs:
Show monthly consecutive data points, regardless of whether we have data for it or not, and regardless of whether the patient was supposed to fill in the assessment or not.
Show data points according to the frequency of the assessment, even if it wasn't completed (every 6 months).
Show only data points when we have the data
After the feedback, we changed the graph from a bar to line graph, and also decided that it should show any data that was entered within the last two years, as we thought this was a good amount of time for users to see some sort of trend. This ensured that no space was wasted, and only relevant data was shown. Having an x axis with the year also helped differentiate how far apart the assessments were being answered.
Since the quadrant did not have the capacity to show historical data or edit it, we wanted to create a separate page that would be able to house this functionality.
Issues with this design:
Putting together a design system while we were building this platform allowed us to have consistency in design and establish the branding that we could carry forward to our future projects.
Just before we were about to launch, we met with the clinic and asked for their feedback on the dashboard.
"It would be nice to see some kind of alert/notification for the most important tasks. For example, when a patient has a concerning assessment score. This will help us reduce the amount of time that we spend on the page."
This was something that we started designing for, but wasn't included in MVP as there was still a lot to think about (i.e., what alerts should we show, how long should they remain, can they be actioned).
Shortly after we launched this product, unfortunately the company realized it wasn’t the best market fit, and we transitioned into our newest product RxNexus. Although the outcome wasn’t what we anticipated, working on the dashboard made me realize it’s such a common and important skill to know how to design for in order to help businesses and individuals make informed decisions.
Talk to the experts, get their feedback, and do your research. One thing I wish is that we involved the data analyst a bit sooner. Initially we were ideating a lot on our own, but the data analyst was able to answer a lot of the questions that we had. There are a lot of different ways to show data, but you have to make sure you’re doing it correctly and make it as readable as possible to the user.
This project took a while because of competing priorities, and focus had to be shifted to revenue-generating projects multiple times. However clear communication with the team and working together to establish our product development process kept us going and we were able to launch our MVP.